Paul’s 2022-23 Groundhopping Plan
“Groundhopper Paul” is about to get on the road again.
I think this is the season I am going to officially “do the 92.” I’ll also be checking out many of the European and Premier League tickets and hospitality options we sell. And I’ll be touring the continent. And working. And hiking. And basically reverting from “Portland Paul” to my wandering footy personality.
So here’s a look at where I plan to go and what I’m thinking. I would love to get your suggestions, or if you’re reading this and see me heading your way, please give a shout! I will always offer pints, and maybe even tickets, in exchange for company and local knowledge!
By all means, bookmark this post and keep checking for updates; plans are always changing. You can also subscribe to our newsletter, join our Facebook group, and become an “Ultra” member“ of our new website, which includes a copy of our English soccer guidebook and other cool benefits.
My Quest to “Do the 92”
As of the season start, I have been to 75 of the current 92 English league grounds — the quest of many in the world of #groundhopping — as well as 90 overall in the UK and Europe. If you’re wondering what it’s all about, here’s my guide to the leagues and cups of English soccer.
Here’s my plan for the 2022-23 English and European football schedule:
- July 30: Lincoln City vs Exeter City (League One, ground #76 of 92)
- July 31: Sunderland vs Coventry City — the Black Cats back in the Championship!
- August 5: Crystal Palace vs Arsenal — Premier League opener, and a chance to meet some of our clients
- August 6: Fulham vs Liverpool — checking out the new Riverside Stand at Craven Cottage. More groundhopper meetups!
- August 7: Manchester United vs Brighton — experiencing a new Man United hospitality package with our clients
- August 9: League Cup action: Either Harrogate Town vs Stockport County, Bradford City vs Hull or Accrington Stanley vs Tranmere Rovers — any of which would be ground #77 of the 92
- August 10: More League Cup: Either Sheffield Wednesday vs Sunderland or Port Vale vs Rotherham (#78)
- August 13: Manchester City vs Bournemouth on a private guided tour
- August 16: MK Dons vs Port Vale (#79?)
- August 17-25: Hiking (and I guess working) in Austria
- August 27: Bayern Munich vs Borussia Mönchengladbach using one of our Bayern Munich ticket options
- September 2: Borussia Dortmund vs Hoffenheim using one of our Dortmund ticket options
- September 3: Bayern Leverkusen vs Freiburg
- September 4: Borussia Mönchengladbach vs Mainz — I was thrilled to find out these first three home teams are within just a few miles of each other.
- September 6: Champions League in Germany — fixtures come out August 25
- September 7: Champions League in Germany
- September 6: Europa League or Europa Conference League in Germany
- September 9: Weder Bremen vs Augsburg
- September 10: Hertha Berlin vs Bayer Leverkusen
- September 11: St. Pauli vs Sandhausen (2 Bundesliga)
- September 13-15: More European games in Germany
- September 16: Mainz vs Hertha Berlin
- September 18: Union Berlin vs Wolfsburg
- September 19: International Break begins, and I’m off to relax in Italy for a week.
- October 1-3: Inter Milan vs Roma using our Inter Milan tickets and, I hope, Juventus vs Bologna with our Juventus tickets. This will depend on TV changes.
- October 4-6: European games in Italy
- October 7-10: AC Milan vs Juventus using our AC Milan tickets, and possibly also Bologna vs Sampdoria and/or Torino vs Empoli
- October 11-13: European games in Italy
- October 16: Napoli vs Bologna
- October 19-20: Coppa Italia and/or Women’s Champions League
- October 23: Roma vs Napoli, hopefully with Groundhopper Emily and Groundhopper Michael. Company meeting!
- October 30: Real Madrid vs Girona using our Real Madrid tickets, and to see the redeveloped Santiago Bernabeu
- November 1-3: European games in France or Spain
- November 6: Marseille vs Lyon or Nice vs Brest (or both!)
- November 13: PSG vs Auxerre using our PSG tickets and hospitality
- November 14: World Cup break begins; all top leagues in Europe shut down
- November 19: Back in England for League One or League Two games
- November 24-27: FA Cup Round Two
- December 3: League One or League Two games
- December 7-8: Women’s Champions League
- December 10: League One or League Two games
- December 17: League One or League Two games
- December 26: Boxing Day!
- December 27-31: Games all over
- January 1-2: Premier League and/or Football League
- January 6-9: FA Cup Round 3, when Championship and Premier League teams join the fray
- January 11: League Cup quarterfinals
- January 14: League One and Two games, as well as FA Vase Round 4
And that should do it for a while!